Thursday, February 25, 2010

Working

Hey go check out me and Diana over at my friend April's blog to read about a fun dinner date we had together here.

Here's the thing, I have found myself employed, much to my surprise. Yes I was fired from a job because of my personal opinion about gay marriage. I had a hard time with it at first, but "Oh ye of little faith" of course it has all been for the best and couldn't possibly be any better. When I was fired, I already had a second job working at the Christmas store RAZ. So that job just filled up the time I would have spent at the first job.

It is so much better working for RAZ because they pay me overtime and my social security taxes. Not to mention they are just the nicest people you will ever meet. And working for them during the furniture show was so much more fun and easier on my feet than working for Global Views.


Sadly, it has required some really long hours, leaving no time for luxuries like housework or blogging. Slowly, I am reclaiming my house and a little bit of my sanity.


I also have a job as an office assistant that is very part time. This is working for a friend of mine in my ward. She has taken on a bigger sales territory and so she is needing me more right now.

It is rather ridiculous and difficult trying to balance working and mothering and taking care of the basics. I would be the first to admit that I haven't figured it out yet. At. All.


One the one hand, it is fun to work and actually be appreciated and paid for what you do. On the other hand I worry if more important things are falling through the cracks. It is quite the dilemma. I have greater respect for working moms. Especially single ones, who do not have any back up at all. I know in the future, I will watch for chances to help such moms out.

For now, I think that it is not unbearable, but I will need to be vigilant about not letting Working Me get too out of hand. I think that in many ways teenagers need their moms as much as toddlers do.

I am finding that having more to do, helps me get more done. Sometimes it is good to have a short amount of time to get things done. When I have all day to do the dishes, it is easy to think, "Oh I will do that later." I am also grateful for the ability to get bills paid off. When others are struggling, I feel very blessed to have such opportunities.

8 comments:

Barbaloot said...

I'm not all that happy about your jobs since I we don't hear from you as much now. But I'm happy you are blessed with work (grudgingly, though. :)

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

I know Barb, it is sad, I miss everyone in the blogosphere. I think things will calm down and I may figure out how to work and blog. I don't know how Shelle does it.

TisforTonya said...

I'm still working it out... started my job last August and am FINALLY beginning to hit the blogs a few times a week. Of course, I probably did need to cut back from my blog-stalking days... but this is ridiculous. Glad to hear from you!!!

April said...

It was so fun to see you and Diana! It is always a balancing act between family, church, work and friends. Sometimes you feel you're doing it, other times you feel like you are failing miserably. You are not alone!

Smart Helm said...

Good luck my friend. I really don't know how working mothers do it either. When I get home from work all I want to do is eat junk food until my sugar level is back up. How do mothers come home cheerful and then make dinner? I'll never know.

Amie Earl said...

I have a new public blog come and check it out it is at freakyfridays@blogspot.com

farmgirl said...

Ummm....can I just give you a big ol' AMEN SISTA!!! There are days I think I am not going to be sane by the end of. I am currently working three part time jobs + the regular mom/wife stuff. I totally agree with you about being more efficient, it's sink or swim Baby, sink or swim.
I am glad you found time to update and also glad you still find time to check in on my little space too. :o)

Kris said...

Glad to see you are back