Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hospital Slumber Party

Last night Jared had a low grade fever of 100.1. Now any first year medical student will tell you that extensive medical studies have shown that in children there is no cause for concern until the temperature gets above 101. Well, I spit on extensive medical studies and I spit on first year medical students also. It is lots of fun, you should try it sometime. A mother has a right, even a duty to be concerned. Medical system let me introduce you to Mother Bear system.

So I called up my old friends, Anxiety and Fear to come over for a slumber party last night. And they even brought their best friend Panic. But they didn’t even bring any nacho cheese Doritos or chocolate or anything. How rude! Not very good guests are they? We were just getting reacquainted and ready to play truth or dare, when my other good friends Faith and Hope stopped by and asked if they could join the fun. And since Hope had a large bowl of popcorn, I said "Why not, the more the merrier." And then Faith pulled out her IPod and offered to let me listen to my favorite song "My Savior Shall Supply My Need."

And at that point Anxiety, Fear, and Panic remembered that they had a previous engagement and abruptly left the party. This was fine with me, because I am not good at sharing my popcorn, and I had already eaten all the peanut M&Ms and Swedish Fish, anyway. Besides which my son kept saying "Can you keep it down over there."

And so Panic, Anxiety, and Fear didn’t spend the night after all.

But my BFFs Faith and Hope said they were full and didn’t want any of the popcorn, so we had a great time remembering all the good old times we have shared. Like the day I married my sweetheart. Or each of the days when my children were first placed in my arms. Or the one time I lost my wedding ring and three days later had the impression to go and look in some old grocery bags and found it again. Or the time we needed to move so that we could be in a better school district, and we found a house that was perfect and then sold our house the first day we put it on the market.

Yes, we talked, giggled, and reminisced late into the night, like the chums that we are. We were snug as three bugs in a rug, together on my camp cot, except Faith sometimes hogged the covers. But that's OK.. I had such a good time, that I just might invite them back tonight.

And wouldn’t you know it, in the morning Jared’s temperature was back to normal. So I called up Anxiety, Fear, and Panic for nothing after all.

10 comments:

Smart Helm said...

You are marvelous... That's all. GO u and Jared. I need to remember ur story next time I find myself in a tough situation.

Still keeping u in my prayers.

annie valentine said...

I love you Pat. You and my sister Jen are two peas. You're kind of rocking this whole little eternal progression testing thing.

Kris said...

Wow, I think that is the best post you have ever written. It should be in a contest somewhere, cuz it would win. I'm glad you spent the night with faith and hope.

Kris

J. Baxter said...

Loved this post! And I'm so glad things are still moving in the right direction.

Still thinking about ya!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

This was so awesome! You are so talented, Pat. With words. Always a pleasure to read you!

Glad Jared is okay. I hope you come home soon! When are you coming home?

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

LOL...that was such a great post! I for one am not a good sharer either so it's good to know I just need to bring Hope and Faith over and they are good as kicked out!

I agree with Crash...you totally have a great way with words and are a pleasure to read! :)

Alyson | New England Living said...

Wonderful post! So creative and well-told! So glad to hear your son's temp was back to normal.

Stephanie & Brad Bishop said...

Your writings are always so uplifting and clever. I'm glad Jared survived the FEVER!

Funny Farmer said...

:clapping long and loud:

Yay for Faith and Hope! And popcorn!

:shrill whistle:

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Thanks everyone. You love is keeping me going. :)