Saturday, November 29, 2008

Drugs, Animal Crackers, and Holiday Movies

I have been rather mum, probably because I have felt rather glum.

Sometimes I subscribe to the theory that if you can't say anything funny, don't say anything at all.

But I have thought of a few things that make me smile and so in desperation to say something, I will talk about random things that have nothing to do with each other.

Percoset. After complaining to the doctor about Jared's pain which seems to be linked to my pain like an umbilical cord, they gave him a prescription for something stronger than the Loritab.

Of course because of strict drug laws, they couldn't call it in to my pharmacy a mile from my house. Instead I had to drive 10 miles through a down pour and day before Thanksgiving traffic to my doctors office. Indeed I would have crawled on my hands and knees to get something to help him sleep better.

Once I got to the office, the nice secretary told me that the nurse was gone for lunch, and no she had no idea how soon she would be back. I was desperate. I told her it was a matter of life and death and sanity. So I waited.

All in all including driving time, it only took two hours of my day. What else was I going to do, bake pies or something?

Eventually I was victorious after the trip to the pharmacy. Nothing says bonding mother/son time like drugs. Perhaps I will win the best mom award for pushing drugs on my son.

The Percoset doesn't take the pain away, but it makes it so he doesn't care about it quite so much.

Animal Crackers. At a recent jungle themed baby shower, I came home with an adorable box of animal crackers. Honestly I can't remember the last time I had some of these. Because I was starving and exhausted the next day, I ate them for lunch. They were remarkably delicious.

Perhaps it was the happy childhood memories that the taste invoked, but I loved them. Who doesn't love cookies shaped like monkeys, camels, and hippopotamus. Maybe it was the image of Shirley Temple singing "Animal Crackers in my Soup," that made me smile.

Anywho, at this point in my life I will take a smile anyway I can get it.

Phych and Monk. On a week where many of my favorite shows took a bye on a new episode, my old friends from USA decided to pull out the Christmas holiday spirit with brand new shows.

I think the world could be ending and I would still laugh out loud at my good friend Sean Spencer. There were so many of those precious moments in last nights episode for which I am very grateful. I love the banter between Sean and Gus. And the scene at the end where Sean exchanged gifts with his dad made me LOL again.

If you have never seen these shows, rent the DVDs. You are seriously missing out.

Elf. Since I never left the house for most of the weekend, I watched way to many movies while sitting on my couch. From Christmas with the Kranks to Home Alone, nothing says Christmas silly, giddiness quite like Elf. I actually had to be talked into watching this movie the first time. Now if I could only get half of the Christmas spirit that Elf has, I would be set for the Holidays.

If I had been inclined to wrestle the changer away from my son and watch something other than FX, I would have chosen to watch the movies I remember watching at Thanksgiving as a youth.

For all of you young whippersnappers, there was a time when there was no such thing as VHS or DVDS and you were at the mercy of the TV producers to choose what and when you would watch something. I know the horror. Boy such a hard childhood, walking uphill in the snow both to and from school. It seems like I remember watching movies like Dr. Doolittle or Sound of Music on Holiday weekends. And Wizard of Oz at Easter time, if my memory is accurate. This weekend I would have added White Christmas and maybe Seven Brides for Seven Brothers if I had my druthers.

No holiday gathering would be complete without the barn raising/dance/fistfight scene from Seven Brides.




And if that doesn't do it for you, nothing says Christmas like Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. Who can resist them lip syncing with the blue feather fans, hair clips and best of all the garter belts holding up their socks?





So if this doesn't put you in the holiday spirit, well then you are in the same kettle of fish as me. Maybe I will follow the Kranks idea where they decided to just say no to Christmas. I can think of a few children in this house who would definitely veto that idea. Oh well I guess I will just have to fake it til I make it, this year.

3 comments:

J. Baxter said...

I have both these movies on VHS.

Annie can still perform the entire barn raising dance number (as the boy).

And I've only seen part of Elf. Apparently I'm missing out!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Jen that is so cool. Obviously Annie's got skills.

I would have loved to have been in this musical. Now I am too old. Oh well in the next life.

Alyson | New England Living said...

I have Monk and Psych on my dvr. I'm looking forward to watching tonight with the hubby!

Hope things get easier for you guys now that you got the good drugs.