Sunday, August 19, 2007

Wicked Awesome!




Well this has been quite a crazy week with some highs and some lows. First I need to report about going to LA to see the musical Wicked. It was better than fabulous. We absolutely loved it and would go again in a heartbeat. Anyone remotely thinking about going to this play it is a must see. We left Las Vegas on Tuesday August 14th, about noon. After we dropped Diana off at a friend's house to spend the night, we stopped at the Library and checked out a great Amelia Peabody book on tape. Then we hit the freeway and were on our way to Hollywood. The trip went well and we did not hit any traffic until we were about a half an hour from our hotel. Even with the traffic, we checked into our room by about 4:00. This was a bit humorous. I found this hotel online, and let me just say that pictures can be deceiving. Or in other words any place can be pictured in a good way. Our hotel room itself was ok, but lets just say the surrounding neighborhood was a bit scary looking. It was however within walking distance of the theatre. Anyway the funny part was that we checked in and the guy gave us a key to room 214. It was a bit hard to be sure because he had a very heavy accent, I think he was from India. So we carried our stuff upstairs to the second floor. The cleaning people noticed that we were about to go into room 214 and informed us that someone was still in there. At least that is what they tried to tell us, this time in Spanish. So we went back to the office and got a different key this time to room 103. We went into this room only to find an extra blanket on the bed and what looked like someones personal towel folded on the table. The cleaning guy came in and told us that this room was also taken. So we went back to the office, yet a third time. Apparently a friend of the owner was staying in room 103 and so it did not show in the computer. Anyway finally we were given a key to room 215. The cleaning lady was just finishing up with this room. It was ok, although it was warm because the AC unit had not been on. We put all our stuff down and walked down the street to look for something to eat. After walking a bit and finding the theatre, we decided that we didn't want anything there and we went back and got into the car. We drove around and found a Denny's. This is kind of a traditional place for us to eat on our anniversary. It was really yummy and then we went back to the hotel and rested up for the play.


Marion fell asleep, but I have to admit that I was too excited and nervous to sleep. I felt like a little kid on Christmas eve. I have been dreaming and hoping to go and see this play since I heard that it was playing in LA last January. It was hard to believe that it was really happening. I kept checking the clock every ten minutes or so and finally the hour and half had passed by and it was time to get ready to go. Marion woke up and we changed to be ready for the show. We were somewhat concerned about losing our parking place at the hotel, because the parking lot at the hotel only had ten spaces for the 15 rooms. Even though we were just 3 blocks from the play, I was nervous about walking home that late at night and so we planned to drive over to the play. Anyway I called the front desk and the guy told me that people could park against the wall and not to worry, so we left and found a parking place close to the theatre.


Next was where I had to pinch myself to be sure that I was not dreaming, because we actually walked into the theatre and we were not late and we did not forget our tickets or any such bad thing. We checked out the lobby and saw a lot of cool Wicked paraphernalia. We then made our way upstairs to our seats. It was very crowded, which proves how popular this play is. Finally we made it into our seats, which were not bad seats. This was very exciting, because once again how do you really know what you are getting when you buy things online. Next I decided to take a picture of the neato ceiling and the empty stage below. This resulted in my being yelled at by a employee. Apparently the rule that no photography is allowed is a very strict rule and not just a guideline. I did manage to take 2 pictures though and so I will post this contraband on here when I can get them developed. We were a bit early and so I got to enjoy the sense of anticipation even longer. It felt like it would never start, but of course finally the lights went down and the music began.


I will not disclose the many twists and turns and secrets involved in this play. I don't want to spoil it for any of you who may go in the future. Let me just say that it was better than I even imagined. I laughed, I cried, it moved me Bob. There is nothing as wonderful as a Broadway production. I feel so lucky to have been able to have this dream come true.


When the play was over we returned to the hotel and wouldn't you know it if the parking lot was not just jammed packed. We had to back the van in and double park in front of several other cars. It seemed a bit insane, but it worked out and nobody needed to leave before we did the next morning.

We woke up and left the hotel by about 8:30. Marion decided it would be fun to stop by his old school, Citrus that is in Glendora. We didn't know if anyone would be around, but it turned out that there were a few people who still remember him. It is hard to believe that it has been 9 years since we left California. Marion had a great time renewing old friendships. It is interesting because his old school is in an older part of town and they are actually going down in enrollment. I think he is much better off in Las Vegas where he teaches at one of the largest community colleges in the country.

Well that is all the fun news from our trip. We were very glad we went and glad that everyone survived without us while we were gone. I wonder what the next musical will be that I get to see?

2 comments:

Funny Farmer said...

I'm glad you had such a fun time! This makes me look forward to my own trip to see this show in November even more.

peacekeeper said...

Congrats on finally acheiving your goal of attending Wicked...i think that is awesome. i am jealous and i hope that at one point in my life i will be able to enrich my life with theater. glad it lived up to its hype.