Monday, May 10, 2010

Pat meets Emma Smith and Pres. Hinkley's Daughter

One of my favorite classes that I attended at Women's Conference was about Emma Smith. The first half of the class was taught by Katherine Nelson, the actress who played Emma in the movie.

As it turns out, it may have been one of the most popular and with only 600 available seats, scored a bit of a victory, when I managed to wedge my way up to the front. I did not actually push anyone to the ground or cut in line, but I did not take no for an answer when they kept saying the class was full. I was very proud that my persistance paid off. I was one of the last people to be let in the room, and at the last moment I even got a chair to sit in.


She started the class by playing the trailer from the film. It really set a wonderful spirit and tone about all that Emma sacrificed and gave to help build the kingdom. Next, Katherine gave a beautiful talk about just what it was like to portray such an amazing woman. Katherine was so poised and reverent as she spoke. She approached the job with humility and was truly blessed as she had not done much acting before this role. Katherine talked about how trials come in small gift bags of giant packages and that we wouldn't trade the things we learn from our trials with anyone else. There was a wonderful spirit and at the end of the class she sang the song "How much can one heart take."


I was thrilled when I was able to chat with her for a minute and get my picture with her. This was a very unexpected bonus as I had not even pre-planned on attending this class.


The other part of the class was taught by Jane Dudley, who just happens to be President Hinkley's youngest daughter. I loved her talk just as much. She started by saying how she felt that she had been truly set up for failure, by having to follow Katherine. She figured that after the class, there would be a line a mile long to shake Katherine's hand and that she would just try and slink back up to Salt Lake and put as much time and distance between the experience and herself. I loved her immediately. She was completely adorable.


She spoke about two of her friends who were expereincing "Emma years". We will have have such challenges and we can use Emma as an example of how to preservere. We can each face trials with faith and courage and give service to others.


Of course as everyone was lining up to meet Katherine, I made a beeline to talk with Jane, the daughter of my favorite prophet. Yes, I have a favorite. I told her how much I miss her dad. She said she did too. I hugged her and thanked her for her talk and testimony and for being so normal.

It was wonderful and I was so happy that fate allowed me into this class.

15 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Wow, you got some totally awesome pictures!
It sounds like you had such a great time. Thanks for sharing it all. (except I haven't gotten the mint brownies yet)

Amie Earl said...

yeah for going to the class for me thanks a bunch

val of the south said...

I love the expression on your face in all your stalker photos! You are so darn happy about it!!

What a great class - I'm so glad you beelined for Jane. Are we not supposed to have a fave prophet? Mine is Spencer W. Kimball with Gordon B. running a close second!

val of the south said...

And I've never seen the Emma Smith story - so I just ran over and ordered it from NetFlix - yay!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Hey! I saw Katherine live in concert here at Tuachan!!! She's so good! My fav song of here's is Fireplace! She sang the Emma song for us also. She is just gorgeous!

President Hinckley also holds a special place in my heart. Awesome Pat. We should all plan to go to Women's Conference...our little lunch crew :)

Kris said...

I love your pictures. I also love it when the prophet's daughter is still humble. Hopefully she will be back next year.

Persistence pays off!!

TisforTonya said...

man! I know I've disappointed yet again because I had to run out of my Gracia Jones fireside to get to Best Buy before it closed... no stalking for me :(

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Tauna, sorry about the brownie, I will have to get right on that. Oh but you probably don't know that there is a better chance of hell freezing over, than me ever mailing anything at the post office.

Amie, your welcome.

Val, you are absolutely right. Is there something wrong with me that I am happier about getting my picture taken with people than the actually learning and inspiring that has taken place. hmmmm.

T you just have to get your priorities straight.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

That is sooooo darn awesome!!! Pat, you rock. I love your persistence. See how it pays!?

I miss Jane's dad too.

Hey, I see you got your hair highlighted for the conference. It's like a good luck charm when you do that, eh?

Katherine is way bee-U-tiful, as are you. I loved her portrayal of Emma in that movie.

HIGH FIVE, Pat.

LY!!!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

That is sooooo darn awesome!!! Pat, you rock. I love your persistence. See how it pays!?

I miss Jane's dad too.

Hey, I see you got your hair highlighted for the conference. It's like a good luck charm when you do that, eh?

Katherine is way bee-U-tiful, as are you. I loved her portrayal of Emma in that movie.

HIGH FIVE, Pat.

LY!!!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

That is sooooo darn awesome!!! Pat, you rock. I love your persistence. See how it pays!?

I miss Jane's dad too.

Hey, I see you got your hair highlighted for the conference. It's like a good luck charm when you do that, eh?

Katherine is way bee-U-tiful, as are you. I loved her portrayal of Emma in that movie.

HIGH FIVE, Pat.

LY!!!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

So nice, I had to say it thrice.

farmgirl said...

Next time you go, could you swing by St. George and stuff me in your pocket? It sounds so nice.

April said...

Pat, I am soooo impressed! I agree with Shelle too!

Homer and Queen said...

You stalk better than anyone I know...