Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dontastic and Marieabulous

I have just returned from the Donny & Marie Show here in Vegas. Good Golly Miss Molly was it out of this world. As my gay boss said when he saw it in July "It was the bomb." Seriously, it was two hours of jam packed entertainment.
First let me just say that most people at the Flamingo are unaware that such events need photographic evidence and hence they stared at me when I took pictures such as this one while standing in line to get into the theater. Their strange faces seemed to say "Isn't that lady cute how she needs to take pictures with all things Donny and Marie." And "How nice that they let her out of the mental institution for the evening."

Here I am taking a self portrait with a cabinet full of stuff you can buy if you want to own a piece of Osmond history. No purple socks, Dang.

Yes here is my actual ticket that I actually paid for with my actual debit card. I wish it would have been my virtual debit card, but Oh well, the piper must be paid.

We were ushered into the Flamingo Theater. It looked like a theater I had seen in movies where it was made up of booths with tables. The seats that we could almost afford were on the balcony at a four person table.

The other couple at the table were visiting Vegas from Oklahoma. I resisted talking smack with them about the upcoming BYU football game against Oklahoma. I would hate to have to hurt any senior citizens over rival opinions.
They were celebrating their 30 year wedding anniversary. They were much older than us, probably 65. By the time we are that old we will be celebrating 50 years. I know that is because I got married when I was 5. And no offense to any older people reading this. It was just strange that's all.

We had a nice conversation with them, although I have to admit to being distracted by the interesting trivia questions they were flashing on the big screens. Did you know that Donny had made 58 albums? Me either. Did you know that Marie was in The King and I and the Sound of Music? Me either. I loved seeing pictures of the good old days.

Finally the show began. It was packed with oldie but goodies, dancing to knock your socks off, Opera from Marie and Paper Roses, and of course Puppy Love from Donny. And Soldier of Love, don't forget that. And so much more. It was amazing.

One of the coolest things was the way they interacted with the audience. There were 4 ladies from Scotland sitting on the very front row and they were going crazy. It was just like the 70's all over again. And when Donny sang the song from Joseph, these ladies were singing back up from the audience and you could hear it. It was pretty funny and he even laughed about it at times. He asked them if they knew every word to every song he had ever sung. Donny would also walk along the tables and give people high fives or shake their hands. It looked kind of dangerous, but the audience loved it. I think he shook hands with everyone in the front section who had paid $250 for their seats.

Marie said she didn't walk on top of tables, but she did go out into the audience and kissed almost every bald man on the head. She must have a thing for that. She was totally adorable and bantered back and forth with Donny like on the show of old. And man can that woman dance. She was totally awesome, although she kept complaining about her mike not working quite right.

The whole thing was very nostalgic and brought beck memories of watching their show every Friday night for the 4 years it was on TV. This was before the day of VCR's or DVRs and TV shows actually were something you looked forward to and even planned your life around.

I loved every minute of it, although it did get a bit loud during the Crazy Horses song. It would be so hard to pick a favorite part. Marie did an awesome Broadway medley. The dancing through all of it was amazing. Donny was dripping with sweat through out.

His partner from Dancing with the Stars was there and he had her come up on stage. I did not recognize her, I think her name was Kim. I wish he would have gotten Chelsie. But that was kind of fun to get a sneak peak.

If any of you ever come to Vegas, mortgage the farm and go see this show. I am sure that it falls into the same category as a home or education for approved situations where debt is OK.

And afterwards, it was time for more pictures for the blog.

Here I am with my best Egyptian pose next to THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAM COAT! You know it was red and yellow and green and brown and scarlet and black and ochre and peach and ruby and olive and violet and fawn and lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve and cream and crimson and silver and rose and azure and lemon and russet and grey and purple and white and pink and orange and red and yellow and green and brown and Scarlet and black and ochre and peach and ruby and olive and violet and fawn and lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve and cream and crimson and silver and rose and azure and lemon and russet and grey and purple and white and pink and orange and BLUE.

And here is another attempt to walk like an Egyptian.

And here I am singing "Go Go Go Joseph you know what they say, Hang on now Joseph you'll make it some day. Don't give up Joseph fight till you drop. We've read the book and you come at on top." Gee, why didn't a chorus line of singers and dancers come out and sing this to me last year when I felt like my life was a perfect graveyard of buried hopes.

Here I am with the very dress that Marie wore on Dancing with the Stars when she danced to Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy.

Yes, they called it Puppy Love.

And finally my meet and greet with Donny and Marie after they show. They were a bit stiff, but I am sure they were just worn out from the show. I did most of the talking and then didn't seem to mind. Nor did they call security.
Sadly I did not obtain a puple sock. I suppose I will manage to go on somehow.

All in all it was a the best time ever. Very worth being married 25 year for. Hee Hee. Two years ago, we went to Wicked. I like this trend. My next dream is to see Lion King. Those tickets are only $50. I am going to start saving now.

And since this is an anniversary post, I thought I would throw in a picture of our wedding day. August 8, 1984. We were babies, seriously.

Love you hon, Thanks for all the years of good times and for being there for the bad. Hope the next 25 are just a wonderful, but maybe a little less exciting.

11 comments:

val of the south said...

Happy Anniversary!!

I loved the Donny and Marie Show - I had a standing date at my friends house every week to watch it. I even recorded it with my tape recorder next to the TV so I could replay it over and over. What I would have given for a bit more technology!! My dad got me their autograph once at a Holiday Bowl party. It was one of the best Christmas presents I ever got!!

My husband once took me to see Tiffany in Las Vegas - but she's no Donny and Marie!

Barbaloot said...

Happy Anniversary! Looks like such a fun show. It's not cool if you're my age to like the Osmonds...but maybe they had an Osmond family special on TV about a year ago and I totally loved it. Maybe.

Also, guess who was really a baby on Aug. 8, 1984? Me:)

April said...

I LOVE this post! I got to live this vicariously through you! I even sang along all to Go, Go, Go Joseph! I am impressed you remembered all of the colors!! My hubby worked on the Donny & Marie show oh so many years ago.....yes, we are THAT old.

Love your wedding photo!

TisforTonya said...

Look what a cute young couple of toddlers you were at your wedding!!!! You looked like Marie! (I would have compared the hubs to Donny, but the whole thought of the brother/sister thing keeps me from going THERE)

Marjorie said...

Congratulations! What fun! Glad you could go to the show. I hope it's still playing the next time we come to town. The vicarious peek was fun but now I'm ready to mortgage the farm!

Eliza said...

Fun, fun, fun! I'm so happy for you. I'm glad that you had a super anniversary. Congrats!

P.S. That sure is a lot of colors!

Homer and Queen said...

Happy Anniversary Baby!!! I bought you a present...I bought you a present...(still singing cuz I don't know any Joseph songs!)

Kris said...

Congrats! I remember that day, thinking you were so old at the time, ah perspective.

What a great post about D & M! In your spare time, you should get a job reviewing shows and then you could sit in the front for free and get paid for your posts.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Oh my goodness!!!!! You WERE babies! How adorable.

58 albums????

Holy Puppy Love, Batman!

Oh Mylanta, what a fun night. I LOVED Crazy Horses so much as a kid. And I watched the show every Friday night too. I even went to a Christmas taping one year at Osmond studios.

I didn't know that Donny was on Dancing with the Stars. I thought it was Marie. And boy was she twiggy in the boogie woogie dress.

YAY for seeing Donny and Marie!

Shawna said...

Oh my, the Nutty just got NUTTIER! I see a Donny and Marie book in our future. 25 years is something to celebrate and celebrate you did. Looks like you were in hog heaven.

Smart Helm said...

I KNOW i left a comment yesterday! Dang it. And I was so elequent and funny. At least, that's how I remember it.

I'm so glad u got to go to seee the show and it sounds like u just loved it. Isn't it awesome when a show lives up to ur expectations?