Sunday, August 23, 2009

Oquirrh Mountain Temple

I thought I would finally post these pictures from July when we went to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple open house. It was really nice to see inside and it was great to be able to let the kids go through a temple.

We went to the zoo in the morning and by the time we got to the temple, Jared was done walking. Luckily they had wheel chairs and his cousin his age was excited to push him around. I specifically asked about how the wheel chair thing would work and the worker assured me that the wheel chairs just go off on the elevator but then they rejoin the group.

All was going well until we went down the stairs to the baptistery. Jared and Michael got in the elevator but no one had told them they needed to go down. So the elevator operator took them upstairs. The rest of us all went down and saw the basement. When the boys did not get off the elevator I was a bit concerned. I waited and waited and waited some more.

The rest of the group went on ahead. I went around speaking to every worker I saw asking "Have you seen two young men, one in a wheel chair?" No no one had seen them. I was not really ever totally panicked. How much trouble could two 15 year old boys get into, right? I tried not to envision them running over any little old ladys while trying to do mach 5 in the wheel chair.

Most of the workers kept reasurring me that we would catch up to them at the cookies in the reception tent at the end. It was a true story that where else would two teen age boys be, but at the free cookie table.

Finally I managed to locate them. They still had not seen the basement and so they went down to do that. By this time I had missed most of the tour and so I tried to go backwards and see what I had missed. It was not a good idea to swim upstream, and I kept hearing that line from Mister Mom "You're doing it wrong" over and over in my head.

Finally all was well that ended well. And what could be better than the cookies at the reception tent. They were awesome.

We also had to take advantage of the photo opportunity with the beautiful pictures there.


Here are Diana and I.
Diana wanted one shot by herself. Well herself and her priceless Jesus. I love the way they set up the light to make the Saviour shine.

Here is a group shot of all of us. We are missing a view people who had to work and two sisters who took the four smallest children home for naps.


And here is just the grandkids. We are missing five, but still it is the most that have been together for a long time.
All in all it was a fun event and better than I expected it to be. I was worried that the Zoo and the temple was too much for one day. I am definitely glad we did it. It was a definite high light of our family reunion.

And here is one last shot of some of the girl cousins.

5 comments:

Homer and Queen said...

Glad you had fun! Wish I could have gone to the open house!

TisforTonya said...

I get to go to the dedication in... ummm... YIKES - an hour... guess I ought to get out of my PJs????

Barbaloot said...

What a cool thing to do on a family reunion. I'm excited to head to the dedication in a couple hours!

Eliza said...

What a beautiful picture of the Savior. How fun for the kids to see the beautiful temple.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

How sweet. So that's how you spell Ocra. I thought it was Ocra. At least that's how my MIL pronounces it.