Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Opposition

One of the things that I learned, well probably relearned, from the First Vision lesson ;ast Sunday, was how so often in life it is darkest right before it gets to be lightest.

As Joseph knelt to pray, the adversary tried to bind him down, both physically and emotionally. And just when Joseph was about to despair that all hope was lost, the light descended. And then his whole life and the lives of millions were changed by the next few minutes.

It seems that there are many such stories through out the scriptures of people enduring something terrible, only to have things turn for the best. It's that whole "you receive no witness until after the trial of your faith", thing.

Someone in class also commented on how the darkness Joseph felt right before the Father and Son appeared to him, probably made the light even more majestic and glorious. The principle of opposition in all things. Because you can only go as high as you have been low. It is like some law of physics that says a pendulum can only swing as far in one direction as it has swung in the other. (I might be making that up, so don't quote me)

I had not really thought of it in exactly that way before. So yippee for gospel doctrine discussions that make you go hmmm.

Oh and I provided the class with some comic relief when I read a quote about the framers of the constitution, but I said farmers of the constitution instead of framers. Practically the same thing, right?

As Jared prepares to return to school on Tuesday, and it looks like some of our darkest days are behind us, I am wondering what wonderful light-kind-of a thing might be in our future.

The suspense and hope are killing me. I will keep you posted.

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

You deserve nothing but light, Pat.

April said...

OOOOHHHHH.......maybe you will start feeling again! It's not so bad. Really!

Smart Helm said...

I enjoyed Sunday School as well, bu u already know that. Good luck in ur light endevours!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

OKay so I'm totally addicted to Life after Death stories. I read one where they said that when they were being Judged, watching the video, that they first when through every emotion hurt anger depression that they ever felt in their life and also the effect they had on other people that went with those feelings.

Then after that they were shown the joy, happiness, and beauty they experienced in their life and in the lives of others that that were effected because of them.

Same thing you are saying...taught me a big lesson and continues to remind me of how to treat others!!!

Eliza said...

My Mom was thrilled that you were the teacher on Sun. She loves to read your blog. That was Russell's first time there too, and he said that you did a good job.

Isn't it great getting more out of your lessons by teaching it?

Heidi said...

I have so been there--I can't wait for your lightness! It's always worth the wait!