Saturday, January 19, 2008

I've joined the Democratic process!

This morning I went to the Republican caucus in my area. It was a learning experience for me. I'm not quite sure why, but I have never been to one before. Jared needed to go to it as part of his Citizenship in the Nation merit badge. So not really knowing what to expect, we went to the meeting at the High School. It was actually very interesting. All of the people from my precinct met in one room. Although there are 315 registered voters in my precinct, only 27 of us showed up. Many of those who came were from my ward and my neighbor across the street. It was nice to know so many of the people there. First we had to nominate and vote for 6 people to go to the county caucus. Each person who wanted to go had to give a short speech and say who they would vote for. Then we voted. These people are pretty important, because it is actually their vote that will really count. Next we had to choose 6 alternates. I ended up volunteering to be one of those, because I think it would be very interesting to attend the next level of the caucus. I am actually alternate number 2, so if two of the regular delegates don't show up, I will get to vote. Then we voted for the candidate we would want. Out of the 27 people in our room, 23 votes went to Mitt Romney. All in all, I am glad I was there because I learned much more about the process.

No comments: