Monday, January 14, 2008

What is the world coming to?

Jared is playing lacrosse this spring at his middle school. In signing him up, I was asked to sign this waiver. What do you all think about it? And I have to say that after reading it, I wondered if I should reconsider letting him play. I guess in this world of litigation, all contingencies must be covered. So here is the first paragraph of the waiver:

I am aware that playing or practicing to play/participate in any sport/activity can be dangerous in nature involving many risks of injury. I understand that the dangers and risks of playing or practicing to play/participate in lacrosse include, complete or partial paralysis, brain damage, serious injury to virtually all bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, tendons, and other aspects of the muscular skeletal system, serious injury to virtually all internal organs, and serious injury or impairment to other aspects of my body, general health, and well being. I understand that the dangers and risks of playing or practicing to play/participate in lacrosse may result not only in serious injury, but in a serious impairment of my future abilities to earn a living, to engage in other business, social and recreational activities, and generally to enjoy life.

Crazy Huh? And once again I am wondering if such a waiver should be signed before becoming a parent. I think since becoming a mother my ability to function in life has been impaired.:) You know all the sleep deprivation that comes with the territory. And when you have babies it is often difficult to get a shower every day, that could impair your ability to engage in social situations successfully. Just a thought.

2 comments:

peacekeeper said...

you are not asked to sign your life away but your childs. fun. good luck with that one. go jared you rock!

Emily said...

Oh, boy, this is what I have to look forward too!