Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Amnesty Now!

Yes this week is one of my favorites weeks of the year. Amnesty week at the library. This is a glorious event that happens once a year. It is a pitiful commentary on my sad life that this is such a joyful occasion for me. For the past few months, I have been waiting for this week to come because we lost the case to a Lizzie McGuire DVD. So happily today, I went in, and they said "No problem" and waived the fine off my account. Also there was a CD that we checked out on Jared's card that is now lost. I know that I will find it later today now that it is removed from my account. In fact, I told the librarian just that, but she did not even blink an eye and just removed that from Jared's card as well. Oh happy day! I saw one of the librarians there that I know. She helped me when our house was broken into and my wallet was stolen. I don't know why, but she remembers that and asks me about it from time to time. She said to me "Hey, I haven't seen you for a while, maybe since amnesty week last year". I am slightly amazed that warning alarms don't go off when they pull my account up and that they don't just cut up my card. But that is the beauty of the library, they seem to be inclined to forgive seventy time seven. I hope that is enough. Now for at least three weeks, until the books I checked out today are due, my account is all clean and shows a zero balance.

2 comments:

Marjorie said...

I for one am glad that you don't let your guilt keep you from going back to the library. I figure even with the fines it is much cheaper than purchasing all of those books that then collect dust when you have finished reading them. So keep reading and listening! I promise that eventually the time will come when you won't have this problem.

Kris said...

I think you should have labeled this as Human nature instead of Character flaws. The only people I know without library fines are illiterate. Like Mom says, its a small price to pay for a world of great books. I wish my library had amnesty week.