Sunday, April 20, 2008

Trip to Salt Lake City

Friday morning about nine o'clock, my friend Elizabeth picked me up and we headed up to Utah. She has been training for the past 3 months to run the Salt Lake City half marathon. Her husband stayed home with her two small children and so she needed someone to keep her company and help her drive home. I was glad to take a little trip out of town. So off we went on our little adventure. We had fun on Friday stopping in Saint George at a kitchen store. I bought some powdered eggs and margarine for my food storage. Once we got to Provo, we went out to eat with her parents and Aunts. It was lots of fun and I had a chance to show off my football stalker pictures.

Saturday morning we got up at 4:30 am so we could be on our way. We went and picked up her brother and headed up to the tracks where we dropped the runners off. Then her parents, sister-in-law and I went out to breakfast. After that we drove over to the middle of the race just in time to cheer as they ran by. And then we drove down to the Gateway where the race ended. I was very proud of my friend, she finished in 2 hours and 32 minutes. She did great especially considering the fact that she had a horrible cold. It was fun and exciting to see everyone at the finish line. I have never been a runner my whole life, but I could almost see how it might be fun. So a great big congratulations and good job to my friend Elizabeth! You go girl!

We then went out to lunch in Bountiful and then my friend had a hair appointment. While she got her hair done, I ran over to my aunt and uncle's house in Centerville. I was able to see some cousins as well. Even though it was not very long, it was good to see them. After her hair was done, we drove back down to Salt Lake. I wanted to see if we could see President Hinkley's grave. Neither of us was quite sure where his grave would be, but we ended up driving right to it. It looks just like it did at the funeral on TV. I loved this part of the trip. As I watched the funeral, I wished I could be there, and this was the next best thing. After this we drove back down to American Fork where we spent the night with Elizabeth's aunt. Today we drove home. It was a nice trip and it felt good to get away even if it was just for a few days. Now I just have to wait 10 days until I drive back up for Women's Conference. Yay. And everyone survived just fine without me. So hurray for a great husband who sent me off for a fun girls weekend.


Jennifer said...

Way fun, yeah for girl time!! I'm so glad you had a great time and glad you are back.

Allison Barnes said...

Sounds like fun! Good job Elizabeth!!! That's amazing!

Shawna said...

Sounds like a great time! I love the picture of you by President Hinkley's grave.