Monday, December 8, 2008

Ghosts of Christmas Past, part 3


This is a pretty special picture for obvious reasons. Our second son Jared was sealed to us in the San Diego Temple, the first weekend of December 1994.

It was an extra special way to start the holiday season.
For Trent's sealing and blessing we split the two between our two families with the blessing in Arizona and the sealing in Logan. Afterwards we realized that as happy as each day was there was an element of sadness for one of us not having family there.

So Jared's special events happened all in one weekend in California and as many of our families as could, came. Both sides were represented.

Events getting to the temple were interesting because my FIL drove me and the kids and my husband went to the airport to pick my parents. Our car got lost at one point, and I was having an unnecessary fit of frenzy in the back seat. Once we finally made it there, my husband and parents weren't there yet. More cause for concern. This is back before cell phones, so there was no way to know where they were or when they would get there. It is hard to imagine, I know. Such deprivations we had to endure in the olden days.

I will never forget the relief I felt when my husband, dad, and mom walked through the front doors. I pounced on their necks as if they were the prodigal son. I wonder if it will be like that in heaven as we wait anxiously for each loved one to arrive.

Of course now in my older wiser years, I realize that all of this was uncalled for. The temple is not an airport. There are no trains waiting to leave the station. They will wait for all who are coming and stressing out is not really adding to the day. Now they tell me. Another lesson learned the hard way. Shucks.

And so here is a picture of our new eternal family at that point. Three plus one makes four. Don't my boys look too adorable for words in their little tuxedos?
Such little gentleman. How cute and sweet?
It is probably sweeter than maple syrup. Just ask Elf.

4 comments:

Allison Barnes said...

So cute! Life was sure different without cell phones... not sure how we survived!

Kristina P. said...

I love the little tuxedos!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

They are so cute!! I'm loving this ghost tour.

Eliza said...

Adorable!