Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Parenting in the 21st Century

This morning my alarm went off at 6:00 am and I listened to an alarming quiet house around me. Usually Trent is on his way out the door by now. I went to his room and tried to wake him up, no luck. Then I went to Jared who just mumbled something unintelligible. I returned to my warm bed and wondered what to do. Jared has that awful cough thing that is going around and he missed school yesterday. Last night I thought he said he felt better and was going to school. Then a brilliant idea came to me: I would speak their language, I would text them to get up. So this is what took place over the airwaves:

6:17 Me to Jared: wake up
6:19 Jared: I am not going
6:21 Me to Trent : wake up
6:27 Me to Trent: please wake up
6:28 Trent: Hold on
6:29 Jared: My stomach hurts bad
6:29 Me to Jared: Are you going to throw up
6:30 Jared: I dont know
6:30 Jared: My throat and my stomach hurts bad
6:32 Jared: What can i eat
6:33 Me to Jared: cereal bagel oatmeal
6:38 Me to Trent: how about now
6:39 Trent: I'll get up soon

The good news is that all of this took place from the warm confines of my bed. It was not effective in getting them to school, though. Trent has got a really bad headache. I think maybe he has that sinus pressure part of this bad flu bug going around. At least today is the day he has two orchestra classes, so he won't miss that much school. So once again I get to have kids home all day. At least Diana went today, that is good. One out of three is not so bad right?

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Well I guess that's an upside to buying kids cell phones, I'll do anything to stay in my nice warm bed a little longer!