Tuesday, February 5, 2008

White Hankie for the Prophet

Even though I already wrote a post about the passing of Gordon B Hinkley, the funeral on Saturday brought up more thoughts that I wanted to record. As I watched the funeral procession I found myself wishing that I could be standing on the street waving a white hankie. So this post is a symbolic "white hankie" for a man whose footprints will be indelibly imprinted on my heart. The dictionary defines indelible as: 1.making marks that cannot be erased, removed, or the like: indelible ink. and 2. that cannot be eliminated, forgotten, changed, or the like: the indelible memories of war; the indelible influence of a great teacher. I think that pretty well sums up how I feel about President Hinkley. The words of one of my favorite songs from the musical Wicked come to mind. Those lyrics are "because I knew you, I have been changed for good." That is another sentiment the I feel strongly about the former prophet. It is interesting because I was actually able to shake hands personally with both President Kimball and President Benson, but I was never even ever in the same meeting with President Hinkley. This does not seem to matter in the smallest with the connection and influence he has had on my life. For that I will be forever grateful and blessed. Also as I watched the funeral when Pres. Eyring was speaking, I marveled at the eloquence of the words that he was saying. I wondered how to these men always say just the right thing. The thought then came to me that it was really the Lord speaking to all of us, when any of the men speak. I realized how blessed we are by the Lord through each of these wonderful men and that I often take that for granted. Now I look forward to seeing how the Lord will touch and change my life through President Monson.

1 comment:

Marjorie said...

Very clever the way you made the right margin "wave". I too wished I could be there. It took me back to the day the conference center was dedicated. What a thrill it was to be there to see 20,000 plus people waving their white hankies. And President Hinckley standing up there leading us. Because of the great vision he had of building so many temples, we have had a chance to experience something that used to be an extreemly rare occaion.
I love him and I miss him. I am thankful for the technology that allowed us all to "be there" when we couldn't be there at the funeral. It was very healing and uplifting for me.