Saturday, August 2, 2008

All the news that's fit to tell

First of all, good news, Jared only needed help once last night at 12:30 and then we slept until 8. When he called out to me, I was so soundly asleep, I had a hard time waking up. I thought I was back in the hospital again. Yes, I was having a nighmare. I wish I could say I feel like a new person, but I still feel way sleep deprived. It will probably take more than one night to catch up. But I feel very hopeful for the future.

Here is a picture of the sign I put on our door at the hospital. The first night we were on the regular floor. Everyone left our door open. And our room was right outside the nurses station. With about 15 residents and 15 nurses, it sounds like a herd of elephants in the morning. Color me not impressed with all that noise. So I made this helpful sign to remind them, that Hey, maybe a little peace and quiet would actually help people recover from near death experiences.
Here is a picture of the wound about two days ago. Actually since this picture, the doctor took the one stitch in it out, so it is a little more open. It is getting better every day. This time I thought to put something there for reference. It has to heal from the inside out and so I am not sure how long he will have this gaping hole in his side. It is making wearing boxers and shorts, difficult. A good friend went and bought me a hospital gown. Thanks Tammy!


Yesterday was a long day. It was so nice to not have to worry about dinner. Thanks again Eliza. Jared actually ate some of it. That is the first time he has eaten anything for dinner in over a week. The nurse said that the antibiotics he is taking, are probably making things taste funny. That would explain things a little bit better. Usually he eats a big breakfast, takes a few bites for lunch, and doesn't even touch his dinner. But he is drinking his ensure plus at every meal, so that is good.

I think that we have managed to get things situated. We took one of the love seats out of that room, and put a recliner in there, for him when he needs to sit up. He needed a bedside table that was higher than the little end table that I had. Some times being a pack rat is a good thing, as I was able to go shopping at the DI (aka my garage) and found just the perfect thing.

My friend Shawna, came yesterday and took my library stuff back to the library. Yea, now they will stop sending me e-mails telling me that I am going to have to pay $40 for each of the five DVD's that Diana lost. She took them with her to Marion's school during the first week Jared was in the hospital. I never saw them again. Finally on Tuesday, when I was home for a few hours, I was able to spend one of my precious free times looking for those darn DVD's. And wouldn't you know that I was able to find them. It was another miracle. So bottom line, I will not go bankrupt paying my library fines or finally be banned from the place either. Although that would not be a bad thing for my blood pressure.

I have made myself a spread sheet with all of the things that need to happen each day. He has three other oral medications he has to take each day besides his IV. It is a lot to keep track of, so now I have a list I can print each day and check off as things get done. It also includes things he needs to do, like sit up in a chair or walk. Also I am a little compulsive about what he is eating and drinking, so I am tracking that. And his temperature. If it goes over 101, I have to take him back to the emergency room. I am slowly getting used to the way it fluctuates over the day. I can almost remain calm when it goes up to 100 like it did last night.

Slowly but surely, this is begining to feel normal.

5 comments:

Kris said...

Hooray for 8 hrs of sleep in a row! I am so glad that things are getting better in your life. I'm sure it will get easier each day. You are still in our prayers

Stephanie & Brad Bishop said...

Finding another use for excel is so fun for you. Crunching all those numbers for accounting is great, but making a spreadsheet for Jared's care makes the program seem extremely USER friendly.

Funny Farmer said...

Yes spreadsheets make the world a better place. Here's hoping thing settle into a manageable routine for you and you continue to get long stretches of sleep for the forseeable future!

Doug and Dawn said...

That is good news that you are home and Jared is feeling better. I had to laugh at your other post on your first night home when you compared Jared's needs to a newborn that could talk. I can relate with that right now. I hope you can get the rest you need now.

Lily said...

Wow, thats surely exquisite to recognize the fact and I am positive you will also love my article written here chronic upper back pain approximately Hope so you will love to provide me a go-to.