Friday, September 5, 2008

It's not all gloom and doom.

Three years ago, when we moved into this house, I got rid of all our couches. The family room couch was fifteen years old and had been spilled on, peed on, and just was worn out. I didn't want to bring it to our new house. The couch from the living room had been scratched by cats and sprayed on as well. It was missing its legs, and so we got rid of it as well.

Shortly after we moved in, a friend gave me a couch and love seat that have worked in our living room since then. The family room was a different story. We ended up with two love seats in there. One of these was a freebie gift from helping someone move, the other I got at a yard sale for $20.

They both are in pretty good shape and functional. It is just bothersome to me that we have not had a full sized couch. It is very uncomfortable to nap on a love seat, and let's face it sometimes I am just too tired to go upstairs and nap on my bed.

So I have been looking for the perfect couch for the past three years. Some of the criteria have been color, price, and comfort. I really wanted a blue couch with two recliners in it. In those three years the stars have never aligned to help me find something that met all three of my wishes. So rather than get something that wasn't perfect, we have managed with the two love seats.

Well somewhat shockingly, last Thursday a miracle happened. I was having something shipped for my work and they were making me wait. I decided to walk down the shopping strip and check out my favorite Goodwill store.

Guess what? There right in the store was a blue couch with two recliners. It was in decent shape as well. The price $80. Not bad. But then I talked with a sales person who told me that it was half price off furniture that day. So now my pretty perfect couch was just $40. SOLD! I couldn't pass up a deal like that.
I left it there since there was no way it would fit into my Hyundai Elantra. Later that night Marion had taken me and Diana out to dinner. I said "Oh yea, by the way I bought a couch today, could you help me get it home." He was skeptical at first, but when he saw it, he thinks it was a good deal.

I called a friend with a truck and asked "Do you ever lend your truck to people with small cars who buy couches at Goodwill for $40." He said sure. So we were off to borrow the truck. Here is a shot of it backed into our drive way.

Trent showed up just in time to help unload it. Yea for me not having to exert anything, especially since I am a big wimp in the muscle department.

Here is a shot of it, where it now waits for Jared's bed to get moved upstairs and out of the family room.
And here is a shot of my living room, with 3 couches and 5 guitars. Nice huh?

But really if and when things return to normal, I am really going to like this couch. Best of all I didn't spend a fortune on it, so if it gets a little dinged up, I will not need to freak out. And honestly I feel that it is such a blessing because it is exactly what I have been looking for. It is as though the Lord let me fill out an order form, and then he delivered the perfect thing up to me. Hooray for tithing blessings!

4 comments:

Eliza said...

You always get such good deals! Way to go!

Melanie S said...

Great find. Oh, what a blessing it is to just have a comfortable couch! I know, after years of being without one. And now I never get to sit down, so what good does it do me?

Now that I mention it, DO I have a comfortable couch? I don't remember sitting down since I stopped breastfeeding!:)

Marjorie said...

I like it! Your patience was well rewarded!

Kris said...

Way to go!!