Friday, October 31, 2008

Confessions of a tweenage Drama Fairy

Happy Halloween everyone! October 31st is Nevada day, which means its the birthday for Nevada to become a state. So Happy Birthday to Nevada! Which then means that no school today. Hence all the school festivities took place yesterday.Diana dressed up as a drama fairy this year. Actually she was not so much a drama fairy, but there was much drama over the costume and so I kind of thought up that name for the outfit.

First the sleeves were too itchy and so we had to go to Wal Mart at 9:00 pm the night before to get some material that I could then sew into it to make it less itchy.

Next the bodice was too big and hanging down too low, so an alteration had to made.

Finally she decided that the outside tulle skirt bothered her, and so I had to cut that part off of the costume. I think it would have been easier to just have started from scratch.

I kind of felt like I was on project runway and she was Tim Gunn telling me to "Just make it work."

Here is the close up of the glittery hair, because how can you possibly be a drama fairy without glittery hair? Of course we could not find the glitter spray that we bought at Wal Mart at 9:00 pm the night before because why would it be that easy. We looked high and low and finally thought we might need to make an emergency run to Wal Mart, AGAIN. What do you know when we got in the car, there was the darn spray. Apparently it never made it into the house. Crisis averted and hair was sprayed.

How cute is this shot? Diana is in an all girl class this year, and well 27 girls hyped up for a Halloween parade, not exactly quiet.
Here is the obligatory parade shot. Oh and did I mention that this costume originally had wings, but they did not want to stand up, so Diana decided not to wear them in the morning, and then I forgot them for the parade. More drama. Sheesh. Still I think she is adorable. Did I mention she is my favorite drama fairy ever?
And after the parade was the ensuing pandemonium and stuffing of faces with sugar. Here is where Diana passed out the goodie bags that she had put together. One of the things we got were bendy pumpkin straws. These would be so fun to use to drink scary drinks. Unbeknownst to me they also make a high pitched whistle when you blow through them. Who knew? Not me. For the next 40 mins there were piercing whistles that I am sure made every dog in the neighborhood come running. Finally the teacher had to order that all straws/whistles of death be put into the backpacks. I of course played dumb and said "What horrible,thoughtless mother would send those to school anyway?" Now my name if not literally then figuratively, has been cursed in 27 homes. I do feel pretty bad about inflicting deafness onto so many families, but at the same time I am doing my best evil laugh mawahahahah.

So now today is a day of rest and relaxation. At least it would have been if Diana had not had two friends sleep over last night. I am off to take them to celebrate at In-N-Out.
Happy haunting tonight everyone!








7 comments:

J. Baxter said...

What kind of fairy want to cut off the tule skirt? Apparently a drama fairy, and she really was very cute.

And I think it's so cool she's in an all girls class. I seriously think separating boys and girls is the greatest idea EVER! And I've been subbing for seven years, so that's almost a professional opinion:)

Marjorie said...

Funny story!
Cute pictures!
I love drama fairies!

OldBoatGuy said...

I'm glad I got to know you and your family a little bit better at Megans' baptism. You have a cute family, Arlon

Kris said...

I'm glad your drama fairy had fun! I love how long the skirt is! Such a modest fairy.

Smart Helm said...

How fun. I miss the Halloween parties and walking around in your BEAUTIFUL outfit (with or without the drama... I'd take it all!)

I'm impressed with ur saving skills! Way to save the day. (PS.. the black tights are awesome)

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Love the drama fairy idea. I didn't know Oct 31 was Nevada Day! It's also the anniversary of my engagement. Do you think that's bad luck? I was Janet and my husband was Michael when he proposed.

That can't be good either.

And 31 is 13 transposed.

All bad signs.

Eliza said...

I think that your fairy is adorable, and that you are a drama Mama!