Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Day 17 of our Incarceration

Jared was suppose to have surgery at 6 last night. That got pushed back to 8. At 8 they said that it would be 11. About 10 I went with Jared down to the OR recovery room. We waited there for about an hour and a half. I told our story to several different people. Most were shocked to hear how long we had been there. I told the anesthesiologist that it seemed unfair that we were suppose to go home today and now we are in the OR. He said home, don't you live in Vegas. I replied "That I meant home, as in my house, where my bed is. Contrary to popular belief, home is not this hospital." Once they took him in to the surgery, I waited in the waiting room. Caught up on reading USA today and watched a little bit of Letterman. Finally the Doctor came out and gave the report.

He said that he found more puss in there than he wanted to fine. He is now concerned that the infection could have spread into his hip bone. If that is the case, then they will do a procedure where they drill a hole in his bone and drain the infection out. This is where it was good that I was sitting down, because I almost passed out. That may have had something to do with the fact that I had been here that day for 17 hours, but probably not.

Next he took me back to Jared where I put on my mask of "Everything is just fine", while inside I was screaming at the top of my lugs. Jared woke up well, but he was in a lot of pain. The doctor left the incision open to drain. It just has one stitch across the middle of the wound and one stitch holding the drain in place. Finally it was so happy to let Jared have something to drink. By then it was 1:30 am and I felt too tired and upset to drive home. They let me sleep in the quiet room. Sleep might be over stating it. I laid in the nice, soft, dark room for a while. I did eventually give into the exhaustion and drift off to sleep, but I have to say I had nightmares.

I woke up this morning at 7:00 am to a knock on the door for me to sign the consent for the MRI. I tried to go back to sleep, but that wasn't really happening. My phone was dead because of course I took my charger home the day before. Then they came back and said that Jared wanted me to come with him. So I got up and went with him to the MRI.

One doctor said that there was nothing obvious on the MRI, but the orthopedic surgeon needs to read it to be sure. So maybe I am worrying for nothing.

Later today there are going to move us over to the regular pediatric ward. He does not to be in the PICU anymore. We are both sad and nervous about this. We will miss all our friends. Who will our room mate be. I have heard that there are better chairs for the parents over there. I hate change, but oh well what can we do.

So there is no way to say how long we will be here. We need that hip to stop draining. And there is no way to know when that will be. My guess is at least another week.

I am headed home to get some sleep and then come back. I don't remember that last time I was this tired. I don't know if any of this even makes any sense. Yesterday I gave the wrong name as I was trying to enter the PICU. That is how tired I am, I literally can't remember my own name,

No comments: