Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sunday Update

Today marks the two week mark since we came to the hospital. In some ways it seems like we have been here for a year. We are now the longest patient in the PICU. I wonder if there is at least an award or something. Jared is continuing to get stronger each day. Yesterday they put a picc line into his arm. This is a big step to going home. Now he can get his IV antibiotics at home. That will only be for about 9 days or less if we are here longer. Right now we are waiting for him to be strong enough to get around. One hurdle is the stairs at our house. Physical therapy is going to see if they can work with him on the stairs here. He is up and walking with the aid of a walker. The hardest thing is that he has lost weight and all his muscle strength. So each day we have to push him to do a little bit more than the day before. I am amazed at how much progress he is making. It is good that the nurses know how fast they progress, if it was up to me, I don't think I would get him to do as much as fast.
I have to admit to feeling a bit nervous about him coming home. Of course it will be great to not be driving back and forth to the hospital. But I am a bit concerned about being in charge totally of his care. What if I don't do something right? It feels a bit overwhelming. Of course this is probably due to the fact that I am overly exhausted. Anyway I am sure that will all be OK.
So we may come home tomorrow or Tuesday, or maybe even Wednesday. I think studies show that people heal better and faster at home. I can understand how with the food here.

No comments: