Monday, July 21, 2008

Monday Night

Jared has had a good day. The physical therapist put him through the wringer by making him walk out into the hall way and try to go up the stairs. He only did three of them, but it just about killed him. He is still so weak. We wanted him to be able to learn to do the stairs because our only shower is upstairs at out house. Despite how hard this was for him, he is walking remarkably well all things considered. So the plan for now is to take him home tomorrow.

He does still have one open wound that is draining quite a bit of stuff from it. They cultured it today and no new bacteria are growing so that is very good. He has to lay on his stomach three times a day to let gravity help with the draining. Then the dressing needs to be changed. I did that tonight by myself for the first time. So now I can do that.

I miss spoke or wrote earlier when I said that his antibiotic is every 8 hours, it is really every six hours, four times a day. So that would be midnight, 6 am, noon, and 6 pm. Gosh it will almost be like a nursing baby. But the good news will be that it is only for 9 days.

The other shocking news for the day is that Jared has lost 15 pounds. He is down to 136 pounds. He did not have 15 pounds of fat to loose, so it has to be muscle. That might explain why he seems so frail and has a hard time getting around. So one mission will be to fatten him back up. Each day he will get stronger and stronger. That is the goal.

My part will be to transform from the pushover mother into the drill sargent mother who can push him to be all that he can be. Actually one nurse called it lovely pulling. So let's think of it in that terms. Still let me tell you it is hard to watch your baby that almost died, be pushed or pulled or poked for that matter. I just have to keep telling myself that it is for his good. Just like when you get your kids immunized and feel like you need oxygen afterwards. Yea like that.

A BIG BIG BIG thank you to all who came to my aid today. Whether it was just a note of encouragement on this blog, a phone call, cleaning my house, a visit to the hospital, a frosty delivery, or two dinners delivered, well what can I say. I was reminded of how much I am loved. Must have forgotton for a minute. It was kind of like that final scene in It's a Wonderful Life when everyone came and helped Jimmy Stewart know that he was not alone. Yea it was that kind of a moment. Words will never suffice to say thank you, but THANK YOU to all even if it was a prayer in my behalf. Everyone gets a big gold star and lots of brownie points in heaven!!!!

So now I am going to head home from the hospital and it is only 9:30. And I will have some wonderful food waiting for me there. Hip Hip Hooray!

4 comments:

Kris said...

Pat,

I am so glad that you are able to get the help that you need. I wish that we could go and help. I am so glad that JAred is going home tomorrow. If there is a good time, I know my boys would like to talk to him.

Hopefully a home health worker will be checking in on Jared, so you don't have to worry that everything continues to be ok.

I love you!!

Kris

Marjorie said...

You can't imagine what a relief it is to read your blog and hear the news about Jared being well enough to go home! It still feels like I should be helping more. But I too feel like our prayers have been answered. We will continue to pray that the strength and healing will continue. Everyone here is cheering for you all!

Hugs and kisses!

Stephanie & Brad Bishop said...

YEAH for the RS sisters in your ward! We too in Kansas come to the aid of sisters in need. We welcomed a new infant yesterday and visited her beautiful mommy in the hospital. As I walked the halls, I thought of you LIVING in the hospital for 2 weeks. I loved reading your blog concerning your experiences there. Who knows, maybe someone who has authority to make changes will read what you wrote and STAND up for people like yourself sending so much time in the hospital.

I feel such relief that you are bringing Jared home. Even though you aren't thrilled at spending the rest of your summer nursing Jared, I KNOW you are strong enough to do it because you love him so much. You have proven yourself time and time again concerning your strength!

Love you-Stephanie

PS Brad says he is just a phone call away if you have lingering questions concerning Jared's future health or care. He has treated many children with this infection.

913-341-0758
913-579-7452

Anonymous said...

Pat & Jared,

Sorry we have not been to visit. Kevin has been in the hospital twice himself and has a drain hanging out of his stomach. We understand a little bit what you are going through. Our thoughts and prayers have been with you and we hope to see Jared soon.
Love,
Kareen (and Kevin too)